Saturday, April 27, 2013

Caribou steak and Pork Country Ribs!

I hope everybody is having a good week. I had a long work week last week. I ended up working part of Saturday. Saturday afternoon, I rushed home after working in the morning. Stacy had to go work a Pampered Chef show, so I made dinner for Isabella and I. We had things that Stacy doesn't like very well, since she wasn't going to eat with us. We had grilled caribou steaks, yams, and Brussel sprouts. I made everything on the grill.
    For the caribou steak, I put some Worcestershire sauce on it and rubbed it with Pampered Chef's new Tex-Mex Rub. I grilled the steaks over medium high heat for about 15 minutes until they were about 160 internal temp. I might have over cooked them a little, but since it was wild game, I wanted to make sure it was done. I also grilled some yams over medium heat. I microwaved mine for 2 minutes before I put it on the grill since it was so big. I grilled the yams for about 20 minutes until they were soft and cut them open. I buttered them and sprinkled brown sugar on top. The yams stayed on the grill for a few more minutes to melt the sugar a little. To grill the Brussel sprouts, I tossed partially thawed sprouts with olive oil and Pampered Chef Three Onion Rub. I grilled them in the basket for my Char-broil Grill Top Infuser. I tossed them several times as I grilled them over medium heat. I took them off when I took the yams off and they were golden and some had a slight char.  Everything turned out good. The caribou was a little tough, but had a nice flavor. The rub was both sweet and spicy. The yams were really good as were the sprouts.

Caribou steaks, yams and sprouts glistening in the sun on the grill!

Yams all sugared and about to come off the grill.

The finished product. (Isabella makes me use one of her princess place-mats)
    Sunday for dinner, I smoked bone-in pork country style ribs, corn, and potatoes. I seasoned the ribs on all sides with Big Butz BBQ Pig Pollen rub and let the flavors meld in the fridge for a couple hours. When the the time came, I set my charcoal grill up for 2 zone grilling. I piled some coals on each side then added lit coals to each side. In the middle, I put a pan of water to separate the 2 piles. To each pile I added a chunk of cherry wood.  Once the wood was smoking nicely, I added the pork to the middle. I put the potatoes on one side and the corn on the other. For the potatoes, I used the Pampered Chef BBQ Vegetable Rack. For the corn, I used the Pampered Chef  BBQ Corn and Skewer Rack. After the first 20 minutes, I started spritzing the ribs with apple cider vinegar to keep them moist every 20 minutes or so. I smoked the corn and potatoes for an hour. I rotated the corn a few times whenever I spritzed the ribs. Just before I took the corn off, I brushed it with a mixture of melted butter and Pampered Chef Tex-Mex Rub. I smoked the corn so long because it was still frozen a little. I had vacuum sealed fresh corn and froze it when it was on sale at some point. When the ribs were almost done I sauced them with Big Butz Cranberry BBQ Sauce. I sauced them on each side and let the sauce set for about 10 minutes before I took them off. The pork was on the grill at 300 degrees for about an hour and a half.
      Dinner was great. The ribs had a great flavor and nice smokiness. They each had a beautiful smoke ring. The sauce was sweet with a slight spice to it.The corn was tasty. It had a subtle smoke flavor and the rub was really good on it. We had the potatoes with  chive flavored sour cream and butter. They also had a great smoke flavor to them.

Potatoes, ribs, and corn ready to smoke.

Ribs shining before I remove them.

Ribs, corn and potatoes ready to eat.

Nailed the smoke ring!

      I have started watching the show "BBQ Pitmasters". I found past episodes online for free and am now on season 3. If you like BBQ and food competitions then I highly recommend this show. I have learned some tips from watching it. I started spritzing my ribs because of the show.
     There was no winner to my giveaway since no one entered. I will try again some other time. I always appreciate comments about my blog. Please continue to share it with your friends and help me grow my audience.  Speaking of giveaway check out another blog that I follow. Grill Grrl is doing a big giveaway! She always has good recipes on her site too.  Have a great week and happy grillin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment