Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Grilled French Toast!

I had a short weekend last week. I stayed an extra day at work and worked Saturday. Even though I was only home one day, I grilled 3 times. Saturday night after Isabella was in bed, I grilled chicken hardwood sausage for our dinner. I also grilled a caribou round steak in prep for dinner Sunday.
    Sunday morning, I preheated the grill to medium heat while I gathered everything. I took my french toast batter, bread and my new Pampered Chef BBQ Flexible Turner out to the grill. After I brushed and oiled the grates, I dipped bread in the egg mixture and put it on the grill. I grilled the bread till it had nice grill marks and toasted. I tried grilling bacon too, but it flared up too much. I finally put the bacon in my cast iron skillet. The french toast came out good.


    After breakfast, I made pizza dough and got it rising in the oven. I had preheated the oven to 200 degrees and turned it off once the dough was in there to rise. Later during Isabella's nap, I divided the dough in half and rolled it out. I put it on the grill and let it cook for a few minutes per side. Next, I brought it inside and put it on a cookie sheet. I topped one pizza with cut up caribou, mini sweet peppers, grilled onion, frozen grilled corn, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and pepper. I also drizzled some olive oil on before I put the cheese on. I baked the pizza on the grill with the cookie sheet under it to prevent the crust from burning. I cooked it on medium until the cheese was nice and melted.
      I made the other pizza a dessert pizza. I whipped cream cheese with some sugar and spread it on the dough. Next, I topped it with cut up peaches, nectarines, cherries, and frozen blueberries. I drizzled honey on top and sprinkled cinnamon on it. I also cooked it on the grill with the cookie sheet under it. I cooked it till the fruit was nice and warm. When it was done, I sprinkled powdered sugar on top. Isabella loved both pizzas, but especially the fruit one. I forgot to get a pic of the caribou pizza.







While the pizzas grilled, I also grilled some corn. I tried something new to me and grilled it with the husk on. I grilled it till the husk had a nice brown to almost burnt color. When it cooled, I husked it and put it in the fridge. 

I hope everybody has a good rest of their week. Happy grilling!
Matt

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt- I love grilled french toast. It is awesome to see how adventurous you are on the grill! Kudos to you and your site!

    ReplyDelete