Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gardening and ABTs



    We had a super busy weekend. To start out with, on Saturday Stacy's parents came over and watched Isabella while we worked in the yard. Stacy and I raked the lawn and got all the sticks and leaves off it. We also picked up trash that had blown onto the property. After that came the fun part. We put our raised bed kit together and filled it with dirt. We then divided it in four sections. In those sections, we planted: carrots, onions, summer squash and zucchini. I also planted strawberries in a spot that I prepared.







Here is the raised bed with stuff planted.







Garden covered to keep the heat in.
Strawberries are between the two stakes.
I also filled a couple holes in the driveway, sprayed the foundation for ants and changed the alarm company signs. We had a nice lunch of bbq Hawaiian pizza that I cooked in my cast iron skillet in the oven.
      Since Saturday was Cinco De Mayo, we had Mexican fare for dinner. In case you didn't know, Cinco De Mayo was started during the American civil war and was celebrated by both Latinos in this country and Mexico. The Mexican army had won a decisive battle against the French army and helped turn the tide of the Mexican French war toward the Mexicans. The French were supporting the confederate army and the Latinos in the US supported the Union army. Anyway, we had grilled pork fajitas, beans and Mexican rice. For the fajitas, I marinated pork, frozen pepper strips and onion in salt, pepper, taco seasoning and vegetable oil all day. I cooked it all on the Pampered Chef grill pan until the meat was cooked. I then grilled the tortillas for a few minutes to crisp them up. The beans were a combination of kidney beans, black beans, a can of diced green chilies, Pampered Chef Chipoltle rub all simmered together for a while. The rice was brown rice that had been cooked previously, re hydrated by mixing it with salsa and cooking until it was done. To drink we made a virgin Pampered Chef Cucumber Mojito Itty Bity Bev. Every part of dinner came out great. 
     Sunday, I went the Alaska Airmen's Aviation Trade show in Anchorage. Isabella and Stacy had lunch at her parent's house for a couple hours while I walked around and talked to vendors. We then went shopping and home. Stacy left to an appointment and I watched Isabella. She helped me prep dinner. I cut up a fresh pineapple into rings. Then I cut some mini sweet peppers in half and seeded them. Next, I mixed cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese, and Pampered Chef Applewood rub and stuffed the peppers with the mixture. After that I wrapped it up in a half slice of bacon. These are normally made with jalapeno peppers and are called ABTs. This is short for Atomic Buffalo Turd ( I didn't make up the name).We then went outside and put it all on the grill. Isabella and I went in the living room and played for five minutes or so. When we went out to check on the grill, the temp was zero. I committed a BBQ sin, I was out of propane! Both of my tanks were empty. I scrambled and got the pineapple and ABTs in the oven. We were also going to have chedderwurst brats for dinner, so I got those on the George Foreman. Stacy got home about this time. I was able to take the pineapple out and grill it on our grill pan. I put some brown sugar on top to melt after flipping them. I also turned the oven to broil and broiled the ABTs until the bacon was cooked. We really liked everything even though I had to go to plan B. 
I hope everybody has a good week. Don't forget your Mother's on Sunday!

PS: If you go to  www.grilling.com there is a $2 off coupon for Kingsford charcoal under the Mother's day section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment