Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Grill- tasticness

I had another grill-tastic weekend. It was nice to have a good weekend after a super busy week at work. We are in our busy season at work from now until the middle of August. I grilled 3 times in 2 days. Stacy's parents came over Saturday morning and watched Isabella. Stacy and I went shopping. When we got home, I cooked bacon wrapped pork sirloin, potatoes and heated some Bush's Grillin' Beans. See my post Bacon Wrapped Pork for the pork recipe. I did the potatoes a new way. I cut them lengthwise in 6 or so slices, like big potato chips. After salting and peppering, I grilled them on each side until golden brown. I even heated the beans on the side burner of my grill, so the whole lunch was cooked on the grill.
      While Isabella was napping, I made a blueberry crumble on the grill. I found this recipe from Lodge Cast Iron on their Facebook page. Here is the text from the post.
 Just in time for berry picking' season, here's the Simple Berry Skillet Cobbler recipe from "The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook."

Try this recipe, we know you're gonna love it!


Simple Berry Skillet Cobbler
Before the earnest heat of summer sets in, a cold snap happens in Tennessee called blackberry winter; the old timers say the colder the snap, the sweeter the berries. Says Jane Gaither, who blogs at Gourmet Gadget Gal, “My family homeplace at the edge of the Smoky Mountains is covered with raspberry and blackberry brambles and we pick, can, freeze, and eat them year round.“ Her berry cobbler recipe uses raspberries but you can use any type of berry or peaches. Be sure to serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.
Serves 6 to 8
One 10-ounce bag individually frozen raspberries or 1 pint fresh berries
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1. Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 350°F.
2. Mix together the raspberries, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of the flour, the lemon juice, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
3. Melt the butter in the skillet in the oven until it starts to brown around the edge and foam. It’s important to have the butter sizzling hot!
4. While the butter is melting, in a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the baking powder, salt, and milk until just combined. The batter may still have a few lumps but it should be about the consistency of pancake batter.
5. Pour the batter over the butter in the hot skillet. Do not stir. Immediately spoon the berry mixture on top of the batter. Bake until the crust looks golden and crispy, 25 to 30 minutes.

I used frozen blueberries and did it all on the grill. It took a little over 30 minutes. Next time, I'll try smoking it on the grill with some wood chips.

 Stacy had a Pampered Chef party Saturday night. Isabella and I had daddy daughter time. We went outside, watered the garden, and played.

 Sunday night, I made pizza, grilled pineapple, grilled bread and Stacy made a salad. For the pizza, I cooked up some bacon in my cast iron skillet. I then drained most of the grease out of the pan and sprinkled corn meal in the pan. I stretched a refrigerated pizza crust in the skillet and precooked it for a little on the grill. My pizzas have been turning out a little soggy in the center, not this time though. I also put on a little less sauce than normal.  I topped the pizza with Pampered Chef Beer BBQ Sauce, ground pork, peppers, onions, crumbled bacon, and cheese. I cooked it on indirect heat.

While the pizza was cooking, I made a glaze for the pineapple. I put fresh squeezed lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and a little vanilla extract in a pan and melted it over low heat. Also when I was cooking the pizza, I put a couple pieces of pineapple rind on the grill to add some pineapple smoke. Once the pizza was done, I grilled the pineapple. The pineapple got basted several times with the glaze. Also, I grilled some day old bread that I cut up like bread sticks. We really enjoyed our meal.



Hope everybody has a good week!
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment