Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pulled Pork!

I hope everybody had a good week. I had a pretty productive weekend. We put up some of our Christmas decorations among other things.  Sunday, I smoked a pork roast for pulled pork.
           Saturday night, I started out by rubbing the pork shoulder roast on all sides with salt and pepper followed by a mixture of Pampered Chef Smokey Applewood Rub and Smokey Barbecue Rub. Sunday morning I lit some Kingsford Original Charcoal in my chimney starter and started some apple wood chips soaking.There were also a few mesquite flavor briquettes mixed in too.  I piled up some unlit charcoal on both sides of the grill with an open space in the middle. In the open spot, I put a foil  pan filled with water.  Once the coals were ready, I dumped them evenly on the two piles of unlit coals. I added my smoker box to one side with the soaked applewood inside and some soaked chips to the other side. I let the grill warm up and start smoking before I added the roast to the grill. The roast went fat side up over the water pan. I adjusted the heat to maintain between 250 and 300 degrees. I had to replenish the coals a couple times to maintain the heat. It took about 4 hours for it to be done.  Once the pork reached an internal temp of 195 I took it off and put it in my cast iron combo cooker. I covered it with my skillet and let it rest for a bit.
           I know that this is not how a lot of people do their pulled pork, but this is the way I like it. When I make pulled pork, I like to smoke the pork then shred it and put it in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and onions to cook for awhile. I didn't have that time, so I put it in the combo cooker and shredded it. I then added half an onion that I sliced. After the onion, I poured in the remnants of a few jars of BBQ sauce. The whole mixture then cooked with the stove on low for an hour. I stirred it every so often. We ate it on homemade bread. We all thought it came out great. Isabella, who doesn't eat her meat well, even wanted more. As we were eating it, Stacy and I were talking about how tasty the bark was and Isabella thought we said barf. She started imitating the cat throwing up. We had a nice laugh about that.
Before shredding. (sorry for blurry pic)

Being shredded.

Finished product!


Hey Dad I'm trying to eat!
        I did all that smoking with the temps in the single digits and the wind blowing outside. The end result is worth it though. We had a nice dinner Sunday and I ended up with leftovers for dinner all week at work. I will be watching Isabella during dinner both days this weekend, so we will see if I get any grilling in. I hope everybody has a good week. Until next time, happy grillin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment