Monday, December 31, 2012

Smoked Nuts and Fish Tacos!

I hope everybody had a good Christmas. I had a great four day weekend.This is going to be the first of a two part blog. Christmas eve we went over to Stacy's parents, had brunch and opened gifts. I got several grilling related gifts. I was given a Weber rib and roasting rack, a book called Weber's Smoke, and a grill light. I will be showing these in action in a few upcoming blogs. Later we went to Stacy's grandparents and had a Chinese Auction. As gifts we gave things that we had made. This summer we gathered fireweed pedals and froze them. We made jelly with the fireweed this fall when it was cooler in the house. We gave out jars of the jelly as gifts. Stacy made cookies and fudge. For her parents and sister, I made barbecue flavored smoked nuts.
          The smoked nuts were a last minute addition. I saw a recipe from Weber and decided to give them a try. I adapted the recipe to my tastes. Weber Smoked and Spiced Nuts is the original recipe. I used a Pampered Chef Smokey Barbecue Rub in place of the spices. I also doubled the recipe. I did use the brown sugar. To 4 cups of mixed salted nuts I tossed in 4 teaspoons of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons of rub. You could use any of your favorite rubs.  It was so windy outside that I couldn't get my charcoal to light. So I did it in my Char-Broil  Grill top Infuser. I put hickory chips in the bottom then, foil in the basket and poked a few holes in the foil. Next, I put the seasoned nuts in the infuser and put it on the hot grill. I smoked them for about 25 minutes, tossing the nuts a few times to prevent burning. Then, I let them cool before putting them in an airtight container. They came out pretty good. I think next time, I'd add a little more sugar and smoke them a little longer.
Nuts! (sorry my flash made this look weird)

 I used the infuser and the unburned hickory wood to grill some cod pieces for fish tacos for dinner that night too. We put the cod in grilled  tortillas with cheese, southwestern dip, and guacamole. It was good.



Fish taco!

Fish taco with homemade Mexican rice! 

Fish taco up close!
The next blog will be about our adventures on Christmas day. Happy grillin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment