Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Alder Smoked Salmon!

I had the pleasure of grilling multiple times last weekend. I don't want to overwhelm you with a long post with lots of recipes, so I will be breaking the weekends grilling into two posts. This one will be about the salmon I smoked Saturday night and how I used the leftovers for lunch Sunday. The next post will be Sunday breakfast and dinner. On with the show.
  Saturday, it was pretty windy out, but I decided to smoke some salmon anyway. While I heated up some Kingsford Hickory briquettes, I prepped the salmon. I rinsed and patted dry the salmon, before putting it in my Pampered Chef Flexible Basket. Next, I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and Old Bay. Sliced onions went on top of the salmon with a little more salt and pepper before closing the basket. I then put the salmon in between my two piles of lit coals that I had a smoker box with alder wood over one set. Right off the bat I had trouble keeping temperature because of the wind. It was blowing at least 15 mph. When I had lit my coals they were ashen and brown in only about 10 minutes. I also wasn't doing my normal thing where I dump lit coals on piles of unlit coals because I had read that it should take less than an hour to smoke the salmon. I normally get 2 to 3 hours of 200 to 350 degree heat before I have to add more coals with this method. I didn't want to waste charcoal. I ended up having to add more coals and I let it smoke for over an hour at 150 to 200. It wasn't quite done and it was past dinner time, so I preheated my propane grill. I put the whole thing over medium indirect heat for about 10 minutes. The salmon flaked nicely at this point.
     To go with the salmon, I also made broccoli on the grill. I wrapped the broccoli in foil with some ricotta cheese, salt, pepper, and onion. The broccoli was cooked on the grill the same amount of time as the salmon. Stacy made rice and put cheese inside of some biscuits from a tube. The salmon came out really good. Even for all the messing with it, it had a nice smoked flavor. The broccoli was good to as were the biscuits. I would have left the salmon on the charcoal side if I would have had 20 to 30 more minutes. I was still pleased with the results.

Salmon Before!


Salmon After!



Up Close!



Broccoli and Biscuits!
     We had a filet leftover, so we just wrapped it foil and put it in the fridge. Sunday, I pulled the fillet out of the fridge and sorted all the bones out. Then, I put the salmon and leftover onion in our manual food processor. Also to the food processor I added, mayo, dill pickle chips, more Old Bay, lemon pepper, and salt. I processed it all together. Stacy and Isabella ate it on crackers and I had it as a sandwich for lunch. We really liked it. The smoked flavor was even more pronounced. Isabella ate the salmon better as a spread than she did the night before by itself. She ate the spread off her cracker and wanted more on them. We gave her more because we were happy to see her eating something so good for her. The salmon was wild Alaska Sockeye salmon. Stacy's grandparents caught it over the summer. It has plenty of Omega 3 fatty acids in it. Farm raised Atlantic salmon is never allowed in our house. The farm raised salmon doesn't have the nutrients that wild salmon does or the taste.


Salmon Spread!

      I hope you enjoyed part one. Part two will be coming in a few days. Until then, have a great week and happy grillin'.
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment